MATZAH BREI (also spelled Matzoh Brei, Matzo Brei, or Matza Brie) means fried matzah.
It is one of the traditional Passover holiday breakfasts, but it can be enjoyed all year long.
The recipe of Matzah Brei is really simple, so anyone can make it.
In Baku this dish is called “Khokhol” (accent on the last syllable) or “Babka”.
2 sheets of matzah
½ cup of milk
Salt to taste
Butter for frying (2-3 tbsp)
1. In the bowl break matzah into small pieces.
2. Pour the warm milk (or Half & Half) over the matzah and leave in a bowl for 10 minutes to soak.
3. While matzah is softening, beat the eggs. Pour the eggs over softened matzah, add salt and mix gently with a fork.
4. Melt butter in a frying pan. Pour egg-matzah mixture into the pan. Place some small pieces of butter on the top, und fry covered, over low heat until eggs are cooked.
5. Cut matzah brei in quarters and turn them over. Then turn off the heat and leave Matzah Brei for a minute in a pan to absorb all the butter.
Bon Appétit! Enjoy!
This post is also available in: Russian