MASH PLOV Nakhichevani-style (Pilaf with beans)
Pilaf is a signature dish of Azerbaijani cuisine. It is usually served on special occasions and known in Azerbaijan as Ash or Plov. Azerbaijani cuisine has dozens of different types of pilaf, one of which is a Nakhichevani-style pilaf with beans named “Mash Plov.” This pilaf is prepared very similarly to “Lobia-Chilo Plov,” but contains additional ingredients.
*A full-sized picture of this dish is available in the Gallery
Ingredients for 5-6 servings:
(cup size 250 ml)
2 cups long-grain (Basmati) rice
½ cup mung bean (or small pinto bean)
½ cup black-eyed peas beans
½ cup brown lentils
1 tsp cinnamon
8 oz (225 g) clarified unsalted butter
1 lavash (tortilla) for qazmaq
Cook the beans separately.
1. Place the dried beans and lentils in a separate bowls, cover with water, and soak overnight. Strain through a colander before cooking.
2. Then, place the beans into separate pots, add enough water to cover them, bring to a boil, add salt, lower the heat, and simmer until tender.
3. Strain the cooked beans and lentils using a colander and place all of them together into a large bowl. Add 2 tbsp of melted butter, mix, and set them aside.
Cook the rice.
1. Rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water several times until the water stays clear to remove excess starch. Then, soak the rice overnight in salty water at room temperature (or at least 1 hour in very hot salty water) for truly great, fluffy, and evenly cooked rice. Before cooking the rice, pour out the water straining the rice with a colander.
2. Fill a pot (or saucepan) with water (approximately 3 liter), add 3 tbsp salt (1 tbsp on 1 liter), and bring it to a boil. Place the rice into the boiling water. Stir, lower the heat to medium, and let it cook for 5-10 minutes (depending on the quality of your rice). Cooked rice should be soft on the outside and hard inside.
3. Strain the rice using a colander, then rinse with hot water to wash out any extra salt.
Cook the Pilaf.
1. Place the rice in a large bowl with beans, add cinnamon and butter, and gently mix them together.
2. Melt two tablespoons of butter in a pot or saucepan, place the lavash (tortilla) on the bottom of the pot, then add the rice-beans mixture.
3. Wrap the lid of the pot in a tea towel and cover the rice mixture. Cook over a very low heat for about 45-60 minutes. Put a heat diffuser (or a pan) under your pot to prevent burning.
Serve “Mash Plov” with any side dish – chicken, dried fruits, meat, or smoked fish.
Bon Appétit! Enjoy!
This post is also available in: Russian