DOVGA – YOGURT & HERB SOUP.
Dovga is a traditional Azerbaijani soup made of plain yogurt and herbs.
1 lb (900 g) yogurt
2 qt (2 ltr) water
½ cup short grain rice
1 bunch of cilantro
1 bunch of dill
1 bunch of parsley
½ bunch of mint (or dried mint)
Salt to taste
1. Wash and finely chop the herbs.
2. In the pot put washed rice, cover with 2 cups of hot water, mix, and simmer over low heat until the rice is cooked.
3. Let the rice to cool down, then add the egg and mix them well.
4. Put the yogurt into the pot.
5. Mix it well with the rice-egg mixture.
6. Gradually add the water and mix everything well.
Place the pot over a medium heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time clockwise (non stop) with a wooden spoon. This process will take plenty of time (approximately 20 minutes), so you need to be patient and choose a longer spoon.
All these steps are very important for getting the smooth texture of Dovga.
7. When Dovga begins to boil, reduce the heat, and then put all chopped herbs, mix well, and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently.
8. Turn off the heat and add salt to your taste. Don’t add salt until Dovga is cooked, otherwise it will curdle!
Serve Dovga ether warm or cold.
Bon Appétit! Enjoy!
This post is also available in: Russian